Gelatin silver print
Image: 23.2 x 29.9 cm (9 1/8 x 11 3/4 in.); Paper: 27.7 x 35.4 cm (10 7/8 x 13 15/16 in.)
Gift of George Stephanopoulos 2012.425
The St. George Building at the intersection of Beekman and Cliff Streets was built as a warehouse in 1870, one year after construction began on the nearby Brooklyn Bridge. The building was named after a succession of churches that had occupied the site from 1752 to 1868. Lyon made a series of images showing the progress of the warehouse’s demolition. Today, not even the intersection remains. In 1971 it was subsumed into a cooperative apartment complex consisting of four 27-story buildings that still occupy the site.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.