Gelatin silver print
Image: 25.1 x 32.5 cm (9 7/8 x 12 13/16 in.); Paper: 27.7 x 35.5 cm (10 7/8 x 14 in.); Matted: 45.7 x 55.9 cm (18 x 22 in.)
Gift of George Stephanopoulos 2011.258
Originally below sea level, the area that became West, Greenwich, and Washington Streets was built up through the continuous dumping of dirt and refuse. West Street occupies two and a half miles of Hudson River front; by 1900 the street had become one of the busiest in America. 327, 329, and 331 Washington Street, pictured in the middle of the top row, were constructed in the early 1800s as Federal-style townhouses, then commercialized when the area became the city’s produce market in 1812. Although slated for demolition in the mid-1960s, the structures were restored to their original character and are now homes.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.