Mar 29, 2012

258 Washington Street at the Northwest Corner of Murray Street

258 Washington Street at the Northwest Corner of Murray Street

1966–1967

Danny Lyon

(American, 1942-)

Gelatin silver print

Image: 25 x 24.8 cm (9 13/16 x 9 3/4 in.); Paper: 35.5 x 27.7 cm (14 x 10 7/8 in.)

Gift of George Stephanopoulos 2011.251

Location

Description

In 1970 the New York Landmarks Preservation Commission awarded landmark status to the building at 258 Washington Street, built in 1848 by architect-engineer James Bogardus (1800–1874). “It forms a part of the first complete cast-iron building front ever erected in the United States, . . . [which] employed a novel system of assembly and erection and . . . was a forerunner of the multi-story steel-framed office building of today.” Landmark status did not prevent its demolition. However, its front consisted of prefabricated units that could be taken apart, moved, and reassembled elsewhere. The historic facade was disassembled at a cost of $80,000 and put in storage in 1971. Four years later, it was stolen by thieves who sold it for scrap.

See also
Department: 
Photography
Type of artwork: 
Photograph

Contact us

The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email collectionsdata@clevelandart.org.

To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.

All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.