Gelatin silver print
Image: 25 x 25 cm (9 13/16 x 9 13/16 in.); Paper: 34.5 x 27.8 cm (13 9/16 x 10 15/16 in.)
Gift of George Stephanopoulos 2011.246
In his book The Destruction of Lower Manhattan, Lyon relates that 100 Gold Street, an architectural experiment built in 1926, was “the first reinforced concrete structure of its height built and demolished in New York.” In the late 1960s, it was replaced with a nine-story, privately held office building that is now owned by the city and houses its Department of Housing Preservation and Development. Lyon shot this image from the New York Tribune building, which was under demolition. That 18-story structure, proposed by some historians as the earliest skyscraper, was the first high-rise served by an elevator.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email [email protected].
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.