Image: 28.8 x 24.2 cm (11 5/16 x 9 1/2 in.); Paper: 28.8 x 24.2 cm (11 5/16 x 9 1/2 in.); Matted: 50.8 x 40.6 cm (20 x 16 in.)
Jo Hershey Selden Fund 2009.13
Text and Image in Southern Asia (Indian Painting and Himalayan rotation)
With the rise of Calcutta (now Kolkata) as an urban center in the 1800s, a jeweler named Rai Badridas Bahadur Mookim (1833–1913) relocated there from the northern Indian city of Lucknow, along with many other Jain merchants. He ordered the construction of this temple, studded with colored glass, dedicated to the 23rd Jina Parshva. It was completed in 1867. His portrait sculpture is seen from behind in the forecourt, under the domed pavilion.
The annual festival of Paryushan is celebrated at this temple, where manuscripts—especially of the Kalpa-sutra—are displayed, carried in processions, and read aloud to the congregation.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email email@example.com.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.