Ink, tempera and gold on vellum
Each leaf: 32.3 x 21.9 cm (12 11/16 x 8 5/8 in.)
The Jeanne Miles Blackburn Collection 2003.171
This leaf comes from a manuscript once owned by the famous Victorian art critic John Ruskin (1819–1900), who removed some of its leaves to give away as gifts.
The sheet belonged to an antiphonary, a large liturgical book used by the choir for chanting. It contains all the music and texts needed for daily services in the church. In South Flanders, where this manuscript originates, the Confrérie des Charitables de Saint-Éloi has been active since 1188, when a plague wave raged in the region. This brotherhood was in charge of giving bread to the poor, caring for the sick, consoling the dying, burying the dead, and giving them a burial.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email email@example.com.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.