Earthenware with slip decoration
Overall: 8.4 x 16.3 x 10.9 cm (3 5/16 x 6 7/16 x 4 5/16 in.)
John L. Severance Fund 1989.149
Lead glaze is what gives this wine cup its yellowish-green color.
Lead glaze was first used near the Mediterranean basin around 1000 bc, appearing in Mesopotamia and Egypt almost simultaneously. The technique flourished during the Roman Empire, and examples can be found in all reaches of the realm from England and Germany to North Africa, Syria, and Turkey, and perhaps even further east. This is a very fine example of this technique.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email [email protected].
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.