Vintage gelatin silver print
Image: 17.8 x 7.3 cm (7 x 2 7/8 in.); Mounted: 25.2 x 19.4 cm (9 15/16 x 7 5/8 in.); Matted: 45.7 x 35.6 cm (18 x 14 in.)
Gift of Mrs. Edd A. Ruggles 1972.1087
© Estate of Margaret Bourke-White / Licensed by VAGA at Artists Rights Society (ARS), NY
Reminiscent of the ancient Lighthouse of Alexandria, Terminal Tower is an example of how Egyptomania impacted architecture in Cleveland, Ohio. Like the ancient lighthouse, Terminal Tower is a symbolic and functional building, dedicated to trade and commerce. Inspired by Roman mausoleums, the Van Sweringen brothers designed Terminal Tower in the Beaux-Art style, balancing Classical sculpture and architectural elements with modern materials. After assuming power over Egypt, the Greek general Ptolemy began constructing the Alexandrian lighthouse in 280 BCE. He used traditional Greek architectural techniques, which the Romans later borrowed, and which were subsequently interpreted by Beaux-Art architects in the 1800s.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email [email protected].
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.