Diameter: 5.8 cm (2 5/16 in.); Overall: 10.8 x 18.8 cm (4 1/4 x 7 3/8 in.)
Purchase from the J. H. Wade Fund 1956.32
A large quantity of tableware survives from the Roman Empire, including this piece from Antioch and the Eastern Mediterranean. Most of the recovered groups of silver seem to have been hoards concealed during times of trouble. A complete table service, called a ministerium in Latin and a synthesis in Greek, consisted of silver for eating and drinking: trays, platters, plates, dishes, spoons, pepper dispensers, goblets, pitchers, ladles, and bowls. The god of wine, Dionysos, was frequently depicted on drinking and eating vessels.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email email@example.com.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.