(Italian, c. 1481-bef 1563)
Overall: 23.5 x 31.9 cm (9 1/4 x 12 9/16 in.)
John L. Severance Fund 1954.601
Figures leading livestock descend the winding rocky landscape in the background while in the foreground, a crowd gathers before the Holy Family. The traveling figures compose the majority of this plaque, communicating the haste and urgency on their journey to see Christ. Above the Holy Family, a rustic hut creates a canopy. The Madonna and Child sit prominently at the right on a Renaissance bench, receiving the Three Kings. The first king kneels as the Christ Child bends to accept the gift. Joseph stands cross-armed behind the Madonna with two winged angels at his side. Behind him are the heads of an ox and an ass, traditional elements of nativity scenes. To the left three children play while a youth leans on a pagan altar. The torso of an ancient sculpture lies on the ground before it, demonstrating that Christ has come to replace the ancient gods. This low-relief plaque was once believed to have been destroyed in 1914 but is now thought to have been a part of the Count W. Pourtalès collection in St. Petersburg, Russia. Adoration of the Magi resembles a 1506 relief by Riccio made for the Easter Candle in the Basilica of St. Anthony in Padua.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.