(Italian, active 1390–1425)
Ink, tempera, and gold on vellum
Sheet: 55 x 37 cm (21 5/8 x 14 9/16 in.)
Purchase from the J. H. Wade Fund 1953.24
Gold leaf was always applied to a manuscript before the paint.
The unidentified illuminator of this leaf is named after his work on a painted triptych that once hung behind the altar of the Church of Santa Maria del Ponte in the small village of Beffi in Abruzzo. Works by this illuminator are distinctive for their lively detail, highly expressive figures, and brilliant colors. In addition to panel paintings, this unknown artist also illuminated books and painted frescoes. The large scale of this miniature indicates that the leaf served as a frontispiece to a volume in a set of antiphonaries.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email email@example.com.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.