No image available

Pilgrim Bottle (stopper)

Pilgrim Bottle (stopper)

c. 1715

Part of a set. See all set records

manufacturer

Meissen Porcelain Factory

(German, est. c. 1710)

Polished red stoneware, silver-gilt mounts

Overall: 15.9 x 9.6 cm (6 1/4 x 3 3/4 in.)

Purchase from the J. H. Wade Fund 1951.451.b

Description

About 1708, as a by-product of his efforts to produce porcelain, Böttger developed a fine red stoneware, so hard that it could be polished on a lapidary's wheel--as was the body of this small bottle. Red stoneware was part of the usual production of the Meissen factory during its first decade.

See also

Contact us

The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email collectionsdata@clevelandart.org.

To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.

All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.