Ink, tempera, and gold on vellum
Sheet: 22.9 x 15.9 cm (9 x 6 1/4 in.)
Mr. and Mrs. William H. Marlatt Fund 1949.205
In addition to the Virgin and St. John, this image includes a kneeling bishop (probably the donor of the manuscript) and a kneeling Carthusian monk along the lower right-hand edge. The manuscript may have been commissioned by this unknown bishop-donor and given to a Carthusian monastery with which he had some connection. Bishops frequently donated manuscripts to ecclesiastical foundations during the Middle Ages.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.