Silk: lampas weave
Overall: 54.3 x 27.5 cm (21 3/8 x 10 13/16 in.); Mounted: 64.5 x 37.1 cm (25 3/8 x 14 5/8 in.)
Purchase from the J. H. Wade Fund 1944.240
Pairs of yellow lions are framed beneath arches formed by elaborate green leaves in a sumptuous repeated pattern. The city of Granada in southern Spain, where the Alhambra palace stood, continued to be a major center for silk production and commerce through the 1500s. Because the upside-down shields contain no Arabic inscriptions, it was probably made after the fall of the last Muslim sultan to the Christian King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella in 1492.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.