(Italian, c. 1310–1370)
Marble with traces of polychromy and gilding
Overall: 70.5 x 52.5 x 5.9 cm (27 3/4 x 20 11/16 x 2 5/16 in.)
In memory of Henry G. Dalton by his nephews, George S. Kendrick and Harry D. Kendrick 1942.1162
The Madonna is seated beneath a Gothic-arched canopy flanked by Saints Catherine and John the Baptist. A rectangular frame encloses the group. Most likely from a Sienese church interior, the work is probably a fragment of a larger sculptural program such as a tomb. An authentic Gothic style in sculpture appeared in Tuscany from the mid 1200s through about 1350 elucidated by the work of Giovanni di Agostino, Nicola and Giovanni Pisano, and others who were active on Siena Cathedral’s sculptural program. Agostino’s work suggests an awareness of Gothic sculpture and the decorative arts in France from which he borrowed freely. This relief was probably completed just before the plague of 1348, an event which altered the degree and character of Sienese art.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.