Width at bottom: 15.2 x 8.9 cm (6 x 3 1/2 in.)
Educational Purchase Fund 1930.466
This sculpture's colorful surfaces and stylized forms express the child-like simplicity of its design.
In the 1920s, educators at the Cleveland Museum of Art began acquiring art from around the world to be used as teaching aids in schools and libraries. Because of their artistic significance, many of these objects were later transferred to the museum’s permanent collection. Within this material, there exists a substantial group of miniature figures of animals and children made in Austria and Germany in the 1920s and 1930s. These small sculptural works in cloth, metal, and ceramic reflect the creativity of designers following the premise that within every child there is an artist, and in every artist is a child. This story explores the connections between childhood, artistic expression, and whimsical design.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email [email protected].
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.