Overall: 12.7 x 7.6 x 1.3 cm (5 x 3 x 1/2 in.)
Purchase from the J. H. Wade Fund 1929.437
This elegant panel once served as the center of an ivory triptych. Set into an intricate architectural frame that recalls Gothic forms, the figures are carved in three-quarter relief, suggesting free-standing sculptures placed in niches. Below, two standing angels bearing candles flank an elegant Virgin and Child. Above, the crucified Christ is shown tormented by the Roman soldiers Longinus and Stephaton, who flank him on either side.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email [email protected].
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.