Tin-glazed earthenware (maiolica)
Diameter: 5.6 x 25.7 cm (2 3/16 x 10 1/8 in.)
Gift of M. & R. Stora 1923.1088
In combination, the arms, armor, and winged head of a cherub depicted on this plate symbolize war—a common theme in the midst of the Great Wars of Italy (1494–1559).
During the Italian Renaissance of the 1400s and 1500s, nobles and merchants eager to express their wealth and sophistication ordered ceramics for dining, display, and storage. Known as maiolica, because it resembled the brightly colored ceramics from the Mediterranean island of Majorca, these ceramic vessels were covered with a tin glaze that provided an opaque white surface on which colorful decoration and coats of arms as well as mythological or literary stories could be painted.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email email@example.com.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.