Riveted steel (some brass) rings; reinforced collar
Overall (display): 55.9 x 53.3 x 27.9 cm (22 x 21 x 11 in.); Laid flat: 95.8 cm (37 11/16 in.); Diameter: 1 cm (3/8 in.)
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. John L. Severance 1921.1256
In 805 an edict of Charlemagne established a link between the right to own land and the obligation to own a chainmail shirt.
Chain mail capes known as "bishop's mantles" were popular with German mercenary foot soldiers between about 1500 and 1550. They were often worn as the only element of armor.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email email@example.com.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.