(Italian, c. 1406–1469)
Tempera and gold on wood panel
Framed: 186.7 x 97.8 x 14 cm (73 1/2 x 38 1/2 x 5 1/2 in.); Unframed: 95 x 53 cm (37 3/8 x 20 7/8 in.)
Holden Collection 1916.802
This painting, produced by one of Fra Filippo Lippi’s many imitators in the city of Florence, is very close to the composition of the now lost central panel of the triptych commissioned by the Medici family in 1457. It was purchased by Mrs. L. E. Holden before the museum’s acquisition of the two flanking panels of Saint Anthony Abbot and Saint Michael. It has been suggested that this painting is a copy of the original lost central panel of Fra Filippo’s triptych of 1457.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email [email protected].
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.