Part of a set. See all set records
Steel with gold inlay, gilt-brass mounts; walnut burl stock; chiseled high-relief decoration
Overall: 49.5 cm (19 1/2 in.); Barrel: 32.1 cm (12 5/8 in.); Bore: 1.5 cm (9/16 in.)
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. John L. Severance 1916.50
The flintlock ignition system was developed in the 1600s and remained the dominant system until the early 1800s.
Works of exquisite craftsmanship, this pair of pistols, on view in the museum’s armor court, feature an array of decorative elements, including carved walnut, gold inlay, and chiseled, engraved, and gilded figural designs. The barrel is signed G. MASSIN, the name of a gunsmith working in eastern France or French-speaking Flanders, possibly the city of Liège.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.