Diameter: 7.2 cm (2 13/16 in.); Overall: 9.5 cm (3 3/4 in.)
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. John L. Severance 1916.1568
Spurs became more than an equestrian tool, but a piece of male jewelry that would be worn even not when riding.
Instead of a "prick" terminus at the neck, the rowel spur had a rotating wheel installed between two prongs. This type of spur gradually supplemented the prick spur as a safer and less severe alternative for the horse. Rowel spurs first appeared during the 1200s and were in general use by the 1300s.
The information about this object, including provenance, may not be currently accurate. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email [email protected].
To request more information about this object, study images, or bibliography, contact the Ingalls Library Reference Desk.
All images and data available through Open Access can be downloaded for free. For images not available through Open Access, a detail image, or any image with a color bar, request a digital file from Image Services.